Oldies But Goodies
{Put This One on Your TBR List}
Book Review: Guignol
& Other Sardonic Tales by Orrin Grey
by Karen S. Wiesner
Guignol & Other Sardonic Tales by Orrin Grey was published in 2018. This collection of 14 very weird stories is unlike almost anything I've ever read before. By the way, Guignol is a French hand puppet. In fiction, the word has come to be associated with a sensational, gruesome tale.
It would be difficult to describe this anthology of stories individually because they're so short and strange, so, although I liked more than a few of them (very odd for me when it comes to a short story collection!), I can't really go in-depth about any one of them without giving away too much.
In the general sense, these
tales are all what I would consider very small vignettes. What you'll get is a
slice of a life: Nothing came before that isn't told rather than shown,
and, in some cases, there's little by way of follow-up or indication where it
might go from there. It is nothing more, nothing less than what you see in the
here and now--that's all you get. For
that reason, there is very little depth to them. You'll never get to know the
characters, settings, or situations any more than what's included in these few
words. It's like you get a glimpse of something and then you're thrust out; you
walk away because there's nothing else you can do. Whether a memory of what
you've witnessed lingers on after that point is moot. I suspect the author
would enjoy at least part of that description of his work very much. Honestly,
none of this is an insult. It's more of a heads up of what to expect and an invitation,
no RSVP necessary. You really do have to experience this set of stories
yourself to get the full impact.
Contained within Guignol & Other Sardonic Tales were more than a few stories that harkened back to H. P. Lovecraft (complete with the tell-you-the-outcome-before-the-event format). I loved the Choose Your Own Adventure offering "A Circle That Ever Returnth In". "Haruspicate or Scry" was another standout. In that particular account, there's a hilarious reference to college students picking apart a story by a professor, praising his imagery and drawing parallels, to which the teacher responds (like he's impatiently embarrassed by the attention), "I was just writing about a damn pear." I've said similar things myself dozens of times while debating allegory in fiction with those who seem to enjoy reading into everything--just never with Orrin's simple but evocative hilarity.
If you like horror, fantasy, and the strange in your stories, this anthology is definitely one to gobble up in a single sitting. The author has several other fiction collections to choose from as well, so you don't have to stop at just one.
Karen Wiesner is an award-winning, multi-genre author of 156 titles and 16 series.
Visit Karen here: https://www.writers-exchange.com/Karen-Wiesner/

No comments:
Post a Comment