Sunday, May 12, 2024

If You're Going Through North Carolina...

I am not going to recommend that you wear some flowers in your hair. Such a disguise might not help at all. But you might want to read an article that has been thoughtfully shared by our sometimes copyright-unfriendly friends at the Electronic Freedom Foundation.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article286920890.html

In my early days of bsp (blatant self promotion), there was a start-up company that did a very good deal on promotional postcards, and they also did car magnets. I remember embarrassing my daughter (and she was right that my behavior was inappropriate) by driving around with a shopping- bag-sized car door magnet displaying a bare chested hunk and promoting my alien romance novella, Mating Net.

If EFF and NewsObserver has it right, I should stop at the North Carolina welcome center rest stop near Asheville, and slap my old hunky door magnets on for the drive-thru of NC, because the plethora of surveillance cameras can even look at bumper stickers and share images with policemen everywhere. It would be better promo if I wrote first responder romances, of course.

Talking of promotion, Angela Hoy of Booklocker writes a fantastic weekly newsletter, which I highly recommend. Last week, she shared a feature article comparing the ROI (of time) of a newsletter vs a blog.

https://writersweekly.com/this-weeks-article/email-newsletter-vs-blog-which-sells-more-books-dawn-colclasure?utm_source_platform=mailpoet

What do you think? 

Maybe I am an outlier, but I tend to read the posts of the blogs to which I subscribe, and to delete unread the newsletters. I only stay subscribed because I don't want to hurt the authors' feelings by unsubscribing.

Also, a blog is searchable, and if one bothers with labels and so forth, blog posts show up in a by-topic search. Below are just two fantastic blog recommendations.

For excellent promo and marketing advice, you might want to add Penny Sansevieri of Author Marketing Experts to your list.

https://amarketingexpert.com/the-best-book-marketing-company-blog-in-publishing/

Another blog that ought to be a must-follow for not-yet-well-established writers is Writer Beware.

https://writerbeware.blog/

Happy Mothers' Day to all!

All the best,

Rowena Cherry 
SPACE SNARK™  

No comments:

Post a Comment