Sunday, January 01, 2023

Wrong Word

First, I wish everyone a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

Second, I defend the Oxford/Harvard/Cambridge comma. There is no necessary link between health and prosperity, at least, not grammatically speaking.

Third, there may have been a new tweak in WORD, so I should like to share a heads-up for authors and editors.

On Friday, I downloaded a document, edited it, made a copy, which I renamed and added highlighting to that renamed copy to show the changed that I had made. Then, I uploaded the revised version and emailed it back to my correspondent with a note in the body of the email explaining my edits.

I could not remember all the original "sins" in the first download, so I went to the unchanged original download, and discovered to my annoyance that the "original" contained the new highlighting and the editing.

I went to the "download" history and re-downloaded the original, and it, too, had the highlighting and the editing.  I had to clear my history, go back to the original email, and download the original again in order to see what the mistakes were.

A1 is not always helpful.

One of the mistakes involved poor word order, and suggested that a fence could move itself. As a LOTR fan, I imagined a wooden fence with ENT powers. Or Triffid abilities. 

https://www.ic-s.org.uk/2017/03/05/trees-walk-yes/

I've ranted before about the 1st Amendment when it comes to advertising. IMHO, students who get poor PSAT or SAT or ACT grades in the English grammar section, ought to be able to launch a class action against advertisers who have barraged them with bad examples.

For instance, there is one where a pitch-person says, "As a teacher," (this dietary supplement)... does this/that/or the other for the speaker.

A dietary supplement is not a teacher.

Another pitch-person says, "As an athlete," (this dietary supplement)... does this/that/or the other for that speaker.

A dietary supplement cannot possibly be an athlete

Getting this sort of thing wrong can make the difference between a 29 and a magic 31.

One of my favorite legal bloggers is Jeff Greenbaum of Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz. He has shared a very helpful article on Advertising law isses on which to keep an eye in 2023

https://advertisinglaw.fkks.com/post/102i3j9/what-advertising-law-issues-should-you-keep-an-eye-on-in-2023

The list includes Artificial intelligence by Greg Boyd; Copyright by Brian Murphy; Dark patterns by Terri Seligman; Donation programs by Kelly O'Donnell (and there are authors who do extensive fundraising for charity, so this is important); Endorsements by Jordyn Milewski; Privacy by Daniel Goldberg; and more which might not be so useful for authors, but are still interesting.

Authors advertise, so it is well worth a look.

All the best,


Rowena Cherry 
SPACE SNARK™  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment