Saturday, September 05, 2026

A Most Unusual Premise, Indeed

I found something seemingly flattering in my spam folder a few days ago, but obviously too good to be true. I thought that I should share. 

One hears about this sort of email, and any chatbot can be most helpful. The biggest red flag that AI suggests is that editors do not use Yahoo email addresses.

editor.cschulz@yahoo.com
Hello Rowena,

I hope you’re having a great week.

My name is Claire Schulz, Executive Editor at BenBella Books. I recently came across Knight’s Fork, and I was particularly intrigued by the unusual conflict at its center: a Saurian Knight bound by a vow of chastity, caught between his father’s legacy and a determined Queen Consort who asks him to father her child without knowing his true identity.

The combination of forbidden obligation, concealed lineage, political tension, and personal conviction gives the story a distinctive speculative-fiction premise that caught my attention.

I’d be interested in learning more about your current and forthcoming work, as well as whether you’re currently represented by a literary agent. If so, I’d be happy to continue through your representative.

Subject to reviewing additional material, I believe there may be an opportunity worth exploring within BenBella’s fiction publishing program.

If you’d be open to a brief conversation, I’d be delighted to share more about what prompted my interest.

Warm regards,

Claire Schulz
Executive Editor
BenBella Books.

All the best,
Rowena Cherry

No comments:

Post a Comment