Sunday, March 26, 2023

Lorum Ipsum or Blah Blah Blah

My title should be lorum ipsum, but it indicates to printers not to waste ink, and I fear that the bots might over ride publishing when I click the Publish button.

The copyright/trademark/advertising law legal blogs are awash with thoughts about A1, so I am looking elsewhere again for today.

One of the blogs that I have followed for many years is that of Dr. Bob Rich.

There's a tab called How to change the world. If you click on it, you will be treated to a long, and thought-provoking essay.

Aside from the environment and Faustian bargains, and strictly in my opinion, one way *not* to change the world is a bumper sticker on an athlete's protective gear that advocates for third party thought control.

Using the present participle would make a big (meaningful) difference, but that would necessitate two more characters... more ink, smaller font, less visibility for the Message. 

Dimly, from my studies of philosophy and psychology at Cambridge, myriad moons ago, I seem to recall a school of thought (possibly Nietzschean) that the best way to eliminate an undesirable emotion from the culture is to remove the word from use or discovery.

If there is no name for an emotion or feeling, one cannot express that emotion or feeling. One might feel confusion and frustration instead...

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/think/article/an-emotion-without-a-name/84385B7BA22C5BE8A098C428F3CF51EF

For the purists, I am not so ancient that I have seen 10,000 moons since graduating. It's more like 600, but I like the alliteration of "myriad moons", and also the teachable moment it afforded (where it all comes down to whether "myriad" is a noun or an adjective.)

All the best,

Rowena Cherry 
SPACE SNARK™ 
EPIC Award winner, Friend of ePublishing for Crazy Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment