Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Importance Of Being.... Allergic?


I'm on vacation, so will have to rely on memory (which may or may not be fuzzy).

On my Facebook page today, I've had a wide ranging conversation with Elysa and Erin that started with the discrimination, bullying, exclusion, and contempt that children with very serious allergies face in school and in society today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/17/kids-nut-allergy-teased-excluded_n_929809.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk2%7C87417

From there, we touched on the possible effects on fantasy novel Vampires if they had the bad taste to
bite a person with allergies. Elysa's thoughts turned to a self-medicated allergy sufferer.

I did some research on the internet, and discovered that it might be very amusing to afflict the Vamp with uncontrollable itching. Unusual levels of histamine can do that, I read (I hasten to add).



Now, here's my fuzzy bit. I know that I remember seeing somewhere that just as anti-histamines dull the brain, histamines sharpen it. 

Off topic thought, more suitable to be put into the minds of one of my arrogant aliens. Maybe there would be less AD if there were less self-medicating, and less use of Benadryl and its like by parents for their own social convenience.

I've also read that allergies happen when the body's defenses make a mistake, and preemptively attack something that is not a threat.

And, I'm sure I remember reading, probably in DISCOVER magazine, that we are constantly evolving and mutating, but not all mutations are timely or successful. However, there might come a time when a small group of people who have suffered and been sigmatized all their lives for one allergy or another might save the human race.

Maybe, like the appendix in our guts (which used to be cavaliery removed because doctors did not know what it was for) the allergic among us will be the source of a serum or antibody or antidote.

Meanwhile, it would be really nice to know that while FEMA is stockpiling supplies in the expectation of another disaster, that they have catered (literally) for the one in one hundred citizens who suffer serious, life-threatening food allergies.

1 comment:

  1. If histamines sharpen the brain, I should be even more intelligent than I was in elementary and high school. :) The older I get, the more sensitive my lifelong "allergic rhinitis" (sounds better than chronic runny nose) gets to every little thing. I used to be able to wear cologne. (sigh) But my memory is also getting as Swiss-cheesed as Sam's in QUANTUM LEAP. It's not fair.

    ReplyDelete