Monday, October 09, 2006

UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WITH: Rynan "Mack" Makarian

Many of you have no doubt seen in-depth, incisive interviews by noted journalists such as Barbara Walters or Connie Chung. So have I. This isn't going to be one of them. This is just me, wearing my battered reporter's fedora, attempting to weasel out some good gossip from Admiral Rynan Makarian, newly appointed head of the Fifth Fleet. Those of you who've read AN ACCIDENTAL GODDESS havealready met 'Mack', as he's known. Those of you who haven't, here's your chance to get up close and personal with a very tall, dark and handsome man!



REPORTERETTE:
Admiral Makarian, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer my questions. I know getting Cirrus One Station into working shape hasn't been an easy job. How did you feel when H.Q. informed you of your new posting to Cirrus?

MACK:
[leans back in his chair, arches on eyebrow] Honestly, I didn't know whether to be flattered, or to flee. Being the youngest, and newest, admiral in the fleet is something of a responsibility. And I was well aware of Cirrus One's reputation as a space station in the middle of nowhere. Well, maybe not quite in the middle of nowhere. As it's been said, it's located at the last exit before nowhere.

I anticipated there being some personnel problems, some residential problems, some supply problems. I feel fortunate that many of my best officers from the VEDRITOR agreed to accompany me. Lieutenant Pryor, Doc Janek, Commander Rand and of course, Lieutenant Tobias, my Number Two, have been a tremendous help.

REPORTERETTE:
What about those problems you didn't anticipate?

MACK:
[smiles wryly] You mean, like Gille?

REPORTERETTE:
Why would you label Captain Gillaine Davre as a problem, sir?

MACK:
[laughs] As someone who's known her much longer than I have has said, "With Gillie, it's always something". She has... a penchant for trouble. I think it comes from a very deep sense of right and wrong inside her, a very deep sense of fairness. However, she often attacks these problems by herself. It would have been a lot easier if she'd simply have told me what was going on. After all, Cirrus One is my station.

REPORTERETTE:
Are you saying that you were angry that she didn't tell you who she was?

MACK:
At the time, I think I was more shocked, more surprised, than angry. Later, yes. But moreso because I was worried she didn't trust me. [leans forward] I'm a very straightforward person. I don't play games. My crew, my officers know that. I'd hoped Gillie did... well, actually, she did know that. But when I told her I was in love with her, the entire issue became more complicated. [smiles softly]

REPORTERETTE:
So what's it like, being in love with, and being loved by, a goddess?

MACK:
Heavenly. [grins widely]

REPORTERETTE:
[groans] Thank you again for your time, Admiral Makarian. Please feel free to bring Lady Gillaine to the Intergalactic Bar & Grille anytime for a drink!

~Linnea, feeling silly today...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:29 PM EDT

    So, um...*scuffing floor absently with one toe*...when are we going to hear rustlings of a sequel? We are, aren't we? Someday? Soon?*makes big, imploring puppydog eyes*

    ReplyDelete